Guest Join UsHey Guest,
Welcome, Join Dolphin awesome community where you can discuss on various topics :-
You need to be Dolphin user to get one VIP forum account.
You can get latest software upgrade on DFL data recovery tools.
You can get latest data recovery manuals, case studies and tips.
You can seek professional data recovery support from worldwide engineers.
You can get firmware resources for all HDD brands.
You can get donor hdd support from all forum members.
Much More.. or Create an Account

New Data Recovery Adapters, HDD Head Replacement Tools, Unlock PCBs here
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
(DOS) Read Unrecoverable Error
Drive gets BUSY after any access, even after ID. Both N1 and m0 work but do not help.

The drive starts OK, gets ready, then starts throwing UNC errors as can be seen in the attached log.

To get the prompt again I have to wait until it unstucks.

Any access to the drive via ATA asserts BUSY and a series of UNC errors like above occurs. After about a minute the drive clears BUSY but keeps DRQ and only soft reset can get it out of this state. But then it starts repeating the same errors.

All traditional commands like N0, m0 and F work but do not change anything. I haven’t tried sending the ATA command to disable the reallocation yet so it might or might not work.

Hello friend,

You need to use COM port command mode of DFL-DE if you have to repair this common hdd failure of Seagate 7200.12. Above screenshot is where the function is on DFL-DE.

You need to set the baud rate as 38400 and use this function. Please follow our DFL-DE manual on the steps for common hdd repairing.

Keep us updated if above info helps, thank you for your questions.

DDL
sales@dolphindatalab.com
Dolphin team
(12-10-2012, 12:15 PM)Dolphin999 Wrote: Hello friend,

You need to use COM port command mode of DFL-DE if you have to repair this common hdd failure of Seagate 7200.12. Above screenshot is where the function is on DFL-DE.

You need to set the baud rate as 38400 and use this function. Please follow our DFL-DE manual on the steps for common hdd repairing.

DDL

Hi Stanley, I have ST2000DL003 with (DOS) unrecoverable read error. I tried this fix but it failed. Are there particular steps to apply this fix? Does the PCB need to be shorted?
(08-28-2017, 06:45 PM)DRA Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 12:15 PM)Dolphin999 Wrote: Hello friend,

DDL

Hi Stanley, I have ST2000DL003 with (DOS) unrecoverable read error. I tried this fix but it failed. Are there particular steps to apply this fix? Does the PCB need to be shorted?

Here is the terminal output

Rst 0x40M

MC Internal LPC Process

(P) SATA Reset

^z

User Data Base 00990FD8

MCMainPOR: Start:

Check MCMT Version: Current

MCMainPOR: Non-Init Case

MC Seg Disc and Cache Nodes: 4011A58C 4011869C

Seg Write Preamble VBM start: 000010A7 end: 000010CE

Footer - start: 000010D0 end: 000010F7

Seg Read Preamble VBM - start: 000010F9 end: 00001120

Footer - start: 00001122 end: 00001149

Reconstruction: MCMT Reconstruction Start

Max number of MC segments 22E0

Nonvolatile MCMT sequence number 0334CAC3

[RSRS] 03ED^z

Reconstruction: Completed 1: Reconstruction occurred

[MCMTWS]

MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCStateFlagsDisc = 00000041

MCMainPOR: MCTBufferPtr->Header.MCTStateFlags = 0000002A

MCMainPOR: MCStateFlags = 00000041

MCMainPOR: Feature Enabled...
Anyone able to offer advice on this one please?
(08-30-2017, 11:17 AM)DRA Wrote: Anyone able to offer advice on this one please?

SOLVED (DOS) read unrecoverable error

Thanks to Blizzard for the solution which was in DFL ST, enable ID (COM, in my case) and untick to disable all background processes. After doing that the drive has imaged albeit with a few bad sectors. Thanks again Blizzard.
(08-31-2017, 11:14 AM)DRA Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 11:17 AM)DRA Wrote: Anyone able to offer advice on this one please?

SOLVED (DOS) read unrecoverable error

Thanks to Blizzard for the solution which was in DFL ST, enable ID (COM, in my case) and untick to disable all background processes. After doing that the drive has imaged albeit with a few bad sectors. Thanks again Blizzard.

Reminder every case is different so make sure to thoroughly research beforehand if unsure. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced people on this forum so don't be afraid to seek help.
(08-31-2017, 11:14 AM)DRA Wrote: SOLVED (DOS) read unrecoverable error

Glad it worked, I recommend unticking background processes to anyone with terminal access on an unstable Seagate, and maybe disable media cache too which is probably what solved this case. If you lose terminal access because of a media cache problem you will kick yourself for not disabling it when you had access. If you lose terminal access and need to disable media cache you will have to short the read channel, and nobody likes shorting the read channel Big Grin

Warning: There could be cases/models where disabling media cache could lose access to user data.

For newer users you should always review/post terminal output for Seagate. There are some times when you might think you have a heads problem and you just have a media cache problem.

Maybe DFL can give us more information on the pros and cons of disabling media cache.